July is coming in HOT! We know that this time of year – and especially in the kitchen – it’s not always easy to keep your cool. This is due to the multi-use nature of the room and the amount of appliances that are running regularly. One idea that has been used for centuries and still in modern day is designing a summer kitchen: a space separate from the main area of the house which is used for preparing meals in the hotter months. They include all of the basic appliances and ample prep room, and they can be as complex or simplistic as your tastes and budget allows. While they’re more common in warmer areas, they’re still prevalent in a lot of homes today, including ones that are designed around a farmhouse feel.
Best of all, Hawthorne Kitchens can design one for you! Whether it’s a fully separate kitchen, or you want your existing one to emulate this nostalgic and wholesome feeling, we can help. We believe that any kitchen can feel like a summer kitchen. It just takes the right vision and a team of custom kitchen professionals on your side. Make those feel-good summertime vibes a year-round experience with these design tips, plus other ways to keep your cool that go beyond the design process and make these days even more fun!
5 Essential Elements of a Summer Kitchen
Gathering inspiration for your kitchen makeover? Whether you’re building or renovating, it’s crucial to consider these features:
- Structure: Where will this space be? Are you converting an existing space or starting new?
- Cooking appliances: Your oven/grill will be the heart of this new, focused space. Be sure to choose models you’re more likely to cook on during the warmer months. These are the heart of your summer kitchen. Think about the dishes you’re most likely to cook in the summer months and choose appliances that make this easier.
- Refrigeration: Think about your usage. For larger families, a full-size or side-by-side fridge is the obvious choice. However, if your space is limited, an under-counter design can work just fine when you utilize the space for exactly what you need and nothing more.
- Countertops: Research the style of sink and counter materials that work best for you. Learn more about what materials, including our ones fabricated in-house, are available to you when you book an appointment to visit our showroom.
- Cabinets: Another thing we do really well and an equally important consideration. Enhancing your space to ensure your utensils, dishes and cookware are all within one spot enhances the cooking experience and reduces frustration.
Inspiration for Simple Changes
Looking for a fresh start before the construction starts? Here are some great items you can purchase now to give your kitchen an undeniable taste of sunshine
Finally, we promised advice on keeping it cool this summer, We couldn’t resist sharing the 10 Commandments of Summer Cooking from The Kitchn. They’re as funny as they are motivating. Enjoy!
- Thou Shalt Give in to the No-Cook Summer Supper
- Thou Shalt Turn Wine into Sangria
- Thou Shalt Attempt to Make Pie from Scratch
- Thou Shalt Try to Preserve All Thy Bounty
- Thou Shalt Serve Salad with Every Meal
- Thou Shalt Grill Whenever Possible
- Thou Shalt Turn Summer Fruit into Easy Desserts
- Thou Shalt Make Lemonade from Scratch
- Thou Shalt Find Simple Ways to Enjoy Corn, Tomatoes, and Watermelon
- Thou Shalt Master the Ice Cream Sundae
We hope you have an amazing summer full of memories (including those made at home) and new experiences! If you’re feeling inspired to enhance your kitchen in a way that speaks to you, please don’t hesitate to contact Hawthorne Kitchens Kingston and book a consultation. We cannot wait to design a perfect kitchen for you that will make sure you always look forward to coming home.